What is LinkedIn Learning?
LinkedIn Learning is a website containing video courses from industry experts in software, creative, and business skills. It is a subsidiary of LinkedIn; Microsoft now owns LinkedIn.
Knowledge is like money: to be of value it must circulate, and in circulating it can increase in quantity and, hopefully, in value.Louis L’Amour
Investing in our employees. This starts with compensating them fairly and providing important benefits. It also includes supporting them through training and education that help develop new skills for a rapidly changing world. We foster diversity and inclusion, dignity and respect.The Business Roundtable
Corporations have recognized the importance of employee retention and growth and are putting money in place to support these efforts. LinkedIn provides an excellent platform and set of courses that are worth adding to your educational mix.
How much does LinkedIn Learning cost?
As of the time of this writing, Learning can be purchased by individuals for a monthly cost of $29.99. If you buy the annual subscription, the monthly price drops to $19.99.
Many businesses will choose to purchase the product for their teams. If you are looking to do so, contact LinkedIn directly.
What do you get with LinkedIn Learning?
LinkedIn Learning currently has a course catalog of more than 13,000 courses, and they are adding more sessions every week. Classes are available in English, Spanish, German, Japanese, and French.
Experts lead the classes and are often practicing professionals instead of full-time educators. Educators are better teachers, generally speaking, but ordinarily, do not have current experience.
The courses can are available from your mobile device or your desktop. In general, they come with practice materials and often have certificates you can include on your profile
What is Lynda?
LinkedIn Learning began life as Lynda.com. It was founded in 1995 by Lynda Weinman and was acquired by LinkedIn in 2015.
How do you access these classes?
The classes are accessed via the Work menu within LinkedIn. Click on that, choose the Learning button, and you are taken directly into the learning platform.
Accessing courses is easy. You could select the Browse button in the header to see a full list of courses.
You could use the Search option to find courses on specific topics. You can also take advantage of the powerful artificial intelligence capabilities to get recommendations based upon:
- What your connections are interacting with and indicating they Like.
- What others who have the same job function as you are taking.
- Content that is receiving the most positive feedback.
- Trending courses, that which are becoming popular.
Best LinkedIn Learning Course for…
If you are looking for courses on business, creative, or technology skills, you will find them on LinkedIn Learning. For example, look at the list of Marketing courses currently listed under the Business section. There are more than 6000 videos available in 300+ courses.
With this many options, finding the best content may feel impossible. However, there are two ways to identify which courses are resonating with people the most.
- As we noted above, the home page contains the current list of most Liked Content across all topics. Search this list to find what is most popular and likely the best.
- You can also navigate to a specific topic as we have done with Marketing above. From here, you can Sort By View Count, another gauge of which content is most popular and likely the best.
The LinkedIn Learning Viewer
The team at LinkedIn have done an outstanding job of creating a platform to find courses that will be valuable to you. They have done an equally good job of providing a viewing experience that maximizes your learning potential. Let’s take a look.
The viewer comes with the standard video player controls as well as providing:
- Easy to access controls to share the course with others
- Detailed descriptions of the content
- Information about CPE Units, when applicable
- Information about the most common job titles taking this course
- A list of skills you will learn.
- Lists of related courses
- Q&A section for productive, dynamic learning beyond the curriculum itself
- And so much more.
If you are not yet making use of LinkedIn Learning, we strongly encourage you to sign up for the Free Trial and get started today.
The LinkedIn Guide on how to use LinkedIn Learning is embedded below.